Monday 3 December 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar


The Very Hungry Caterpillar. A beautifully designed and illustrated book by Eric Carle.

For those who have never read this before, it's a children's storybook about a caterpillar who eats and eats until he eventually becomes cocoon and then turns into a beautiful butterfly. It's a book of minimal words, but with wonderful pictures and an inspiring design.  Although it's a really old book, it still hasn't lost its appeal. This little caterpillar is still pretty famous and it used as a brand on all sorts of things, including lunchbags like in the photo above!

When I was little, this was one of my favourite books. I remember that I had two miniture books that I equally loved. This one, and 'Peace at Last'. I guess that was the beginnings of my love for reading. During my primary school days, I recollect getting up at the crack of dawn to read books by authors such as Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl, and staying up really late with a torch to finish off a book. When I lived in HK for a year, I read on the MTR on the way to and from school everyday. I  only had a few books and re-read them quite a few times! My favourite book back then was 'Goodnight Mister Tom'; it's still on my book shelf. Nowerdays, I hardly read, although I would love to. I guess modern life has taken over and I've taken to surfing the internet. When I set my eyes onto paper, my brain seems to shut down and sleep. It's a shame really. Reading is such a joy. It's so much better than watching a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment